losing a best friend
is like, as she said,
saying good bye to your dreams of the future,
of when you and I would get together over coffee
in the special space we created together,
the space that was only available between your lips and mine.
the space where we could bash and wonder at the rest of the world,
make snide remarks to counter their snide attitudes,
judge their stupidity for not understanding our stupidities,
repaint memories in tones that were gentler,
or more raucous,
discuss love poems and abortions
and sex we shouldn't have had,
drinks we shouldn't have had, nights that seemed superfluous to our characters,
yet kept happening, intrinsic to our rhythms.
sharing the knowledge, untouched, like a warm bear rug between us,
that we are badgirls, who didn't fit,
who found redemption in the eyes of each other.
that we were sometimes too smart
and always too naive,
to think that this would disappear, this love-space,
crumble under the weight,
of the wreckage we were wreaking.
under the weight of worldrules,
the regulations we rejected, that were there to protect us,
we who never needed protecting,
because we were protected by each other.
I broke the space, left it for help, help I needed,
betrayed our own rules,
which had grown so rigid and so brittle, they couldn't hold back the world,
that came crashing in, with its requests for rents and plans, for an accounting,
a ledger that had been imbalanced for so long
I chose the rules, the redemption of legitimacy.
and now I am here, pushed out of the space,
an outsider to be mocked and judged,
by the girls that wagged their tongues voraciously over coffee and cigarettes,
judged inadequate and stupid by the tribunal
I helped create.
saying good bye to your dreams of the future,
of when you and I would get together over coffee
in the special space we created together,
the space that was only available between your lips and mine.
the space where we could bash and wonder at the rest of the world,
make snide remarks to counter their snide attitudes,
judge their stupidity for not understanding our stupidities,
repaint memories in tones that were gentler,
or more raucous,
discuss love poems and abortions
and sex we shouldn't have had,
drinks we shouldn't have had, nights that seemed superfluous to our characters,
yet kept happening, intrinsic to our rhythms.
sharing the knowledge, untouched, like a warm bear rug between us,
that we are badgirls, who didn't fit,
who found redemption in the eyes of each other.
that we were sometimes too smart
and always too naive,
to think that this would disappear, this love-space,
crumble under the weight,
of the wreckage we were wreaking.
under the weight of worldrules,
the regulations we rejected, that were there to protect us,
we who never needed protecting,
because we were protected by each other.
I broke the space, left it for help, help I needed,
betrayed our own rules,
which had grown so rigid and so brittle, they couldn't hold back the world,
that came crashing in, with its requests for rents and plans, for an accounting,
a ledger that had been imbalanced for so long
I chose the rules, the redemption of legitimacy.
and now I am here, pushed out of the space,
an outsider to be mocked and judged,
by the girls that wagged their tongues voraciously over coffee and cigarettes,
judged inadequate and stupid by the tribunal
I helped create.

1 Comments:
I never cried so much over a woman before,
but I've cried endless tears over you,
and my heart tells my mind to shut up,
and my mind wants to be so damn right,
and sometimes I dream about you,
too often,
we're just getting coffee, or reading books,
I look over and there you are.
I never knew it would be this hard,
I've always forgotten so well,
but you left a stain, a mark of me,
that is always you,
and so I'm drunk again,
lifeless, yet still alive,
and maybe a narcissist, and maybe
humble, and apologetic, because
maybe I love you, even when your heart
is falling out of your chest,
and you can't tell me how much it hurts.
And I'll apologize for a thousand more years
and you'll send me mean things,
and I'll accept that my mouth ran past my life,
and that is why I feel so alone.
Post a Comment
<< Home